Job Posting: Systems Administrator — Part-time
Expected hours: 8-10 hours per week
Compensation: $37.86 per hour
Anticipated start date: October 1, 2021
Location: Fully remote
EDGI is hiring for a self-starting systems administrator who is excited to help maintain and improve upon our technical systems so that they effectively support and grow our collaborative, horizontally organized community of remote volunteers and paid employees. EDGI is an environmental organization focused on issues of data justice, environmental justice, accessibility, and corporate and government accountability. This role would lead responsive, mission-focused efforts that build maintainable, open source, accessible, and just technical systems usable across EDGI members’ broad range of tech expertises.
Specific tasks may include:
Day to day, the systems administrator will be the go-to person to help EDGI members resolve tech questions as they arise (infrequent) and respond to monitoring alerts across services such as Github, CircleCI, Namecheap, etc. They will also be familiar with the variety of projects conducted in EDGI and provide basic technical support to those projects, which may include website updates or basic database updates. Longer-term, the systems administrator should build a vision for a sustainable, secure, and values-aligned technical infrastructure for the remote, distributed, and non-hierarchical group of collaborators who have been doing their own tech maintenance since 2017.
Additionally, the systems administrator will:
- Work autonomously to cover this role, self-defining tasks and determining priority
- Review and suggest amendments to security protocols and access lists
- Keep WordPress up to date
- Help EDGI members add simple features (e.g. an RSS feed) to existing custom sites
- Be available (within 24h or so) on Slack to provide miscellaneous IT support
- Have opinions about what tech tools we should use for various needs
- Create and implement processes (e.g. hold trainings) that make EDGI’s systems (e.g. Slack, Github) more accessible for members
Qualifications and skills we are looking for:
- Ability to self-manage in a remote, autonomous work environment
- Website administration – experience handling domain registration, hosting, DNS records, SSL certs, cPanel management, email – We use Namecheap as our hosting and domain registration provider
- Technical project support – Experience supporting projects with small software development or database goals.
- Open source experience—managing repos and collaborating on Github
- Google Drive management—experience with Google Suite administration, ability to get us up and running on the non-profit Google Suite product
- WordPress administration experience
- Website maintenance including some minor coding (see “bonus” section for specific languages and frameworks)
- Comfort with self-teaching/learning how to administer unfamiliar tools and code frameworks (some are listed in the “bonus” section)
- Excellent documentation skills
Bonus qualifications and skills:
- Demonstrated interest in environmental health and justice
- Password management and security – Lastpass, Bitwarden, knowledge of how to manage this with a small group of people
- Slack, Zoom, Youtube administration experience
- Heroku for deployment of small apps
- HTML, CSS skills for updates of websites
- Kirby web framework experience
Terms of employment:
The systems administrator will be an employee of Multiplier, Inc, EDGI’s fiscal sponsor. They will work approximately 8-10 hours per week, with an anticipated start date of October 1, 2021. EDGI will hold a review approximately three months after employment begins to mutually assess the candidate’s fit for the position and any necessary course-corrections.
EDGI is a distributed collaboration operating under the fiscal sponsorship of the non-profit Multiplier, with volunteer members across North America. EDGI works to:
- Investigate and analyze the inner workings of federal environmental policy, through interviewing of agency staff, as well as data and documentary collection and analysis;
- Monitor changes to, and explore standards for, web-based information about the environment, energy, and climate provided by the federal government;
- Develop new ways of making federal environmental data more accessible to the public;
- Imagine, conceptualize, and move toward environmental data justice;
- Prototype new organizational structures and practices for distributed, collective, effective work rooted in justice.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with “systems administrator” in the subject line and the following attached:
- CV or Resume
- Cover letter outlining your interests and why you are a good fit for the position
Applications are due by September 27. We will review applications on a rolling basis, so early applications are encouraged. EDGI strives to acknowledge and reduce barriers for members of equity-seeking groups through fair hiring practices. We expect everyone to follow our Code of Conduct and principles of friendliness, respect, empathy, and open communication.
*Correction: This job posting previously listed paid sick, holiday, and vacation benefits. This was an error; we’re very sorry for our mistake.