EDGI is hiring summer research interns to assist in coordinating a public online research project investigating patterns in violations of federal environmental regulations and enforcement of environmental laws. Coordinators will help organize online public events, share the results and process of these events over social media as well as record and analyze the results of the events. We seek people with skills in data analytics, data visualization, community organizing, environmental science or environmental studies, environmental law and social media.
Part time position: 10-20 hours per week
Salary range: $20/hr up DOE
Dates: May 18th – August 28th
Qualifications and skills we are looking for:
- Knowledge of federal environmental laws and enforcement (particularly EPA’s Enforcement and Compliance History Online database).
- Experience working within volunteer and/or open source development communities
- Experience with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram)
- Experience with online collaboration platforms including Slack, Zoom and Trello
- Interest in environmental and data justice
- Experience with Jupyter Notebooks and Python a plus
- Comfort with GitHub
- Proactivity in organizing, documenting, and communicating effectively with stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Availability to work across North American time zones during business and off-peak hours to support remote volunteer development community (we use Slack and Zoom extensively)
EDGI is a distributed collaboration operating under the fiscal sponsorship of the non-profit, Public Lab, with volunteer members across North America. EDGI working groups:
- monitor changes to tens of thousands of web pages across federal agencies to document and highlight how environmental data and information, and their access and presentation change;
- interview federal employees to provide human and nuanced perspectives about impacts of the current administration on federal agencies;
- analyze environmental, energy, and climate policy and regulation, focusing on changes in agencies’ governance of scientific information and data; and
- archive scientific data and web pages from federal agencies.
Please email us at email@example.com with:
- CV or Resume
- Cover letter outlining your interests and why you are a fit for the position
EDGI is considering applications on a rolling basis but the final deadline for applying is May 15th.
EDGI strives to acknowledge and reduce barriers for members of equity-seeking groups through fair hiring practices in line with Public Lab. We expect everyone to follow our Code of Conduct and principles of friendliness, respect, empathy, and open communication.